The Department of Defence Production (DDP) was set up in November 1962 with the objective of developing a comprehensive production infrastructure to produce the weapons, systems, platforms ,equipment required for defence. Over the years, the Department has established wide ranging production facilities for various defence equipment through the Ordnance Factories and Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs). The products manufactured include arms and ammunition, tanks, armoured vehicles, heavy vehicles, fighter aircrafts and helicopters, warships, submarines, missiles, ammunition, electronic equipment, earth moving equipment, special alloys and special purpose steels.
The main organizations under the Department of Defence Production are as follows:
- Ordnance Factory Board (OFB)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)
- BEML Limited (BEML)
- Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI)
- Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL)
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited (GRSE)
- Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL)
- Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL)
- Directorate General of Quality Assurance (DGQA)
- Directorate General of Aeronautical Quality Assurance (DGAQA)
- Directorate of Standardisation (DOS)
- Directorate of Planning & Coordination (Dte. of P&C)
- Defence Exhibition Organisation (DEO), and
- National Institute for Research & Development in Defence Shipbuilding (NIRDESH).
With the objective of achieving self-reliance in defence production, the Ordnance Factories and DPSUs have been continuously modernizing and upgrading their capabilities and widening their product range. A large number of major products have been developed through in-house research and development initiatives apart from producing a number of products and equipment through transfer of technology.
DPSUs and Ordnance Factories have, as a policy, been outsourcing many of their requirements and have over the years developed a wide vendor base which includes a large number of medium and small scale enterprises apart from large scale industries. In addition, the DPSUs and OFB are also striving to increase the indigenous content in equipment and products, manufactured by them.
The value of production of Defence PSUs/ Ordnance and Profit after Tax are indicated in Table I and II below:
(Rs in crore)
|Sl.No||Name of DPSU||2012-13||2013-14||2014-15||2015-2016|
(Rs in crore)
|Sl.No||Name of DPSU||2012-13||2013-14||2014-15||2015-16|